Monday, March 8, 2010

Mothers can always tell

I went to the store yesterday morning to stock up on drinks for the guys that came over to work on the house. In front of the store they were selling Girl Scout cookies. I thought I should pick some up for the guys too. As I was paying for the cookies the Mother that was assisting the girls asked me when I was due. I didn’t know what to say, my brain temporarily stopped working. It was the first time a stranger had asked if I was pregnant. I was wearing a big hoodie so I guess that’s why it really took me by surprise. Finally I figured out the answer and said August. I told her she was the first person to ask me that. She said she scooped me out on the way in and could tell. We talked for a minute and as I was leaving she said “Congratulations”. As I was waking away the hormones kicked in and I started crying. I don’t know why I was crying? I guess it struck me, how weird that people can actually see the transformation that I have been feeling for months. I know that as the weeks go on the comments from strangers will be more frequent. Also I’m not looking forward to strangers trying to touch my belly, that’s just too much for me to handle. I really don’t like people invading my personal space!

3 comments:

  1. I've never had a stranger touch my belly and even my friends ask before they do so hopefully you're in the clear with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another theory why you started crying: You're a Maxfield. It definitely runs in the family :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had a stranger touch my belly either, thankfully.
    I think that its special that she could tell you are pregnant. <3

    ReplyDelete